CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

December 17, 2009

Day #17

Add Image

I am thankful for organized sports. Sounds silly I know but I am a true die hard believer that sports do mold a person. Connor is a superstar basketball player. He really is very talented. As he matures and stands out more and more on each team he is starting to learn more about basketball and more about himself. I am so thankful that he has found a talent that requires him to be on a team. I see him growing as a player and remember myself as a softball player and what I learned because of it.
Below are the things I learned by playing sports and the application of them in my life today
1. Learned to be a team player and care more about the team stats then my own stats as an individual- now I am able to care more about my family and their wants and needs and not be so selfish and think only of myself
2. Leadership by being team captain- helps me serve in my callings at church that puts me in positions of leadership
3. 4 hours daily practices- taught me that endurance is necessary in life to succeed.
4. Never playing in a championship game because they were always on Sundays but still winning the MVP award- taught me that Sunday is a special day and observing it does bring blessings
5- Interacting with people on a team that I would not have otherwise been friends with- church, school, visiting teaching, PTO board...I can go on and on about how this is a skill that is useful to me everyday.
6- Making big plays under pressure- being a mom can get stressful :) being able to take a deep breath and deal with the crisis or meltdown takes some experience
7- Cheering from the sidelines even though I know/thought I could do it better than the players on the field- Everyday I want to just do my kids homework or chores for them because I can do it better. But my job is to support and teach them- cheer for them from the sidelines
8-Respect those who have gone before me- My softball coach is in the top 3 of influential people in my life (actually only 2nd to my parents). I learned to listen, respect and love her. I likewise have been able to learn to respect, love and listen to other people who do have more experience than me in life.
9. Work ethic- I learned to work hard playing ball....life requires hard work..it just does...there is no way around that. Being lazy doesn't get you anywhere.
10. Hitting lead off always meant that my team was counting on my to get on base- my kids and husband count on me to do what I say I will do.
11. Hitting lead off also meant that hitter #2 (my good friend) would most likely have to sacrifice herself to advance me on the bases- there is something to say for being the person that people will sacrifice for. I always try to be mindful of the things others do for me that is a sacrifice on their behalf.
12. Being part of a team- people count on you. You owe it to them to pull your weight and do you part- whether its hard, uncomfortable or the 25th suicide of the night....you owe it to your team/family/friends! If we all work together no one has to work extra hard.
{it's hard to believe that we all had lives and things we were passionate about before our we had our families!}
I could probably keep going and going. You can see that I really am a believer that organized sports have a positive affect on kids. I am so thankful that Connor has found something that will allow him (hopefully) to learn as much as I did about myself and life.
CONNOR NELSON #3 RULES....GO BIG 3!!

1 comment:

  1. WOW - that was awesome..... I don't even know what "hitting lead off" or "25th suicide" mean, but I like how you are able relate all those lessons to your current daily life.... maybe I could skew my singing in CHOIR in high school into some life lessons. :) You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete